Assistant General Counsel
December 5, 2022
New York, New York; Greenwich, CT; Remote work possible
Title: Assistant General Counsel
About the Company:
Chardan is an independent global investment bank specializing in healthcare, technology, SPACs and emerging growth companies. Our range of services include capital raising, merger and acquisition advisory, strategic advisory, equity research, corporate access, and institutional trading. Headquartered in New York City, with its principal investments unit located in Greenwich, CT, Chardan is a registered broker-dealer with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission and is a member of the following: FINRA, SIPC, NASDAQ and the NYSE Arca, Inc.
About the Opportunity:
Chardan -- Where Disruption Banks.™ -- is seeking an Assistant General Counsel to join our team. This is an excellent opportunity for a junior- to mid-level associate seeking to develop their in-house experience in a friendly, high-energy and fast-paced environment. In this role, you will be drafting and negotiating agreements, coordinating diligence and other transaction-driven matters, and assisting with other legal department related matters in a timely and diligent manner in support of Chardan’s efforts to get deals done sensibly.
Reporting to and working under the close supervision of our Chief Legal Officer, the Assistant General Counsel will provide legal support of both our investment banking and principal investments activity. Responsibilities are expected to include:
- Drafting and negotiating engagement letters, non-disclosure agreements, organizational documents, shareholder-related agreements, and commercial agreements.
- Reviewing and commenting on prospectuses, proxy statements and other SEC filings and reports.
- Reviewing, revising, and assisting with the negotiation of agreements for Chardan’s principal investments unit, including business combination agreements, registration rights agreements, shareholder lockup and support agreements, and other equity-related agreements.
- Supporting banking teams in their work with external counsel on underwritten and other transactions.
- Management of corporate entities and related subscription agreements.
- Organizing and maintaining the firm’s database of its non-banking contracts, including service and employment agreements.
- Identifying and escalating concerns (and solutions) to our Chief Legal Officer and others (e.g., Compliance) as appropriate.
Some of your projects will involve coordinating between our bankers and others, on the one hand, and our external law firms, but much of the work is hands on and involves working closely with Chardan’s bankers and others making decisions in real-time.
- J.D. and a member of at least one U.S. state bar with excellent academic credentials or other demonstrated excellence at critical legal reasoning.
- J.D. degree at a top-tier law school required, with excellent academic performance at a top-20 law school strongly preferred.
- A minimum of 2-4 years of relevant experience at a top-tier (AmLaw 100) law firm.
- ’33 and ’34 Act experience and/or experience representing investment banks strongly preferred.
- M&A, investment and corporate finance strongly preferred.
- Experience with SPACs a plus, but not a prerequisite.
- Must be a “problem solver” with a “roll up the sleeves” attitude.
- Must take a friendly, can-do approach, while keeping an eye out for risk.
- Must be able to balance multiple, on-demand projects; this role will require work outside of regular business hours.
Willing to work regularly in either our NYC or Greenwich offices, with an occasional visit to the other. Some remote work possible for the right candidate.
To apply: Please send resumes to email@example.com.
Chardan is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, ancestry, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, medical condition, disability, veteran’s status, or any other basis protected by law.
We've received your information, and we're processing your request.
Get In Touch
17 State Street
New York, NY 10004
One East Putnam Ave, 4th Fl. Greenwich, CT 06830